Sunday, November 28, 2010

One Night in Chiang Mai

So, after 10 days of Yoga, I decided to stay 1 more day in Chiang Mai Town, to explore, shop, and celebrate. It was well worth it. I booked a hotel near town, based on Trip Advisor, it was rated #6 out of many hotels in the City and was reasonably priced, by American Standards and a bit expensive for Thai Standards. I wanted a place with service and luxury for my last night there, and much like everything else in Chiang Mai, the ride getting there is quite a nerve racking experience, but the place once I arrived was out of this world. No complaints there at all, service was superb, room was very clean, up-to-date, unique, and well kept, and the staff was just excellent.

I arrived to Chiang Mai Town in the morning, after checking out of my previous resort hotel where we had our Yoga Retreat. I spent the afternoon resting and taking it easy, knowing that I was going to stay out late that night. So, after getting rested up, I geared up and hit the Night Bazaar with full force. I still had a lot of shopping to do for my family and such, and although I spent a couple of hours at the market with our Yoga Group, I usually like to take my time, look around and explore, and I got the chance to do so. It's funny, I ran into a lot of the same vendors that night, and they all remembered me. I guess it's because I drive a hard bargain, and they're so easy to bargain with. I was joking with my group and what we were actually bargaining for, because the amounts were just so small, relative to U.S. dollars, but hey, it's all part of the experience. I always look for unique things, stuff I don't see twice in a large market setting, but I ended up with a mix of things after racing through all of the people I wanted to get something for. Of course, my daughters are foremost on my list, and I showered them with stuff, just because. :)

Okay, so after that shopping spree, I needed something to carry all of the stuff I bought, so I picked up a 'throw-away' luggage for few dollars, threw everything in, and rolled it back to my hotel room to drop off.

After getting cleaned up, changed, etc. and freeing myself from the massive shopping take, I headed back to the Night Bazaar area, because the "Loy Krathong" or "Yee Ping" Festival of Lights was taking place. It was awesome. Parades down the main street, fireworks and firecrackers going non-stop, masses of people, cars, tuk-tuks, taxis, scooters, and motorbikes lining the streets, and hundreds of sky lanterns dotting the night sky, being launched from all over town. It was probably the single most festive event I've ever partaken in, and I had no expectation or history or knowledge of the festival prior to going to Thailand. I didn't get back to my hotel until very late, just soaking in everything the town had to offer.

The following morning, I got up early and decided to take a long walk down the main streets and check out the top-rated restaurant on Trip Advisor, a place called "The Peppermint Coffee Shop". It was a few miles from my hotel, and I decided to walk it. One thing I noticed, several monks were walking barefoot in the streets, holding large golden bowls, some alone and some in groups. Dotted amongst them were some older folks offering food wrapped up in plastic bags, while the monks prayed and blessed them. This happened for the duration of my walk that early morning, and as it turns out, happens weekly (or maybe daily) early in the mornings. Well, I finally make it my way to the Peppermint Cafe, and before I get there, I find the most beautiful temple I've seen so far. And, of course, I left my camera back at the hotel, so not only did I miss the pictures of the monks in the morning, I missed this opportunity to take pictures of this temple. To make matters worse, I get the restaurant, and uh, it's closed ... until much later that morning. I guess Thai are not early morning people. So I walked back to my hotel and decided to bring my camera this time, and at least get pictures of that beautiful temple.

As I got back to the hotel, a breakfast was waiting for me there, and the staff was up early getting everything ready. After a nice breakfast, I started my long trek back to the temple, when I found a Tuk-Tuk driver to take me. Why not? It was getting hot and humid, and I hadn't been on a Tuk-Tuk this whole trip, make it part of the experience. So, I get there and the driver, in all his hustle, suggests he take me to all of the temples around town. Sure, why not? I know it would cost very little to do so, and it likely negotiatiable, so I decided to go for it, and it was a good decision. 5-6 temples, and 2-3 sites where the Festival of Lights (and Lanterns) were being held brought about some great pictures, and an impromptu tour of the City. I arrived back at my hotel just in time to catch my taxi to the airport, and then begin my long journey home.

It was just 24 hours or so in Chiang Mai, and it felt like a lifetime of experiences. I felt at ease there, with a sense of belonging, even though I know it wasn't home. I feel I could stay longer next time, and enjoy it more not for just 24 hours, but longer for sure. I also discovered that I have seen so little of the world, and probably know as little. I need to travel more, and see the beauty the world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment