Thursday, July 7, 2011

Life's Trauma

I've been watching "Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition" and noticed the holistic approach that Chris Powell takes when helping his clients lose the incredible amounts of weight they do over a one-year period. Sure, a lot of it is diet and exercise, as we all know, but Chris takes it a level higher, by focusing in on his clients motivation, as well as their barriers.

Those barriers are something I've thought about recently, their causes and effects. For some of the clients on the show, it was about losing a loved one, having a traumatic experience, or some dramatic event that affected them in a serious way.

Looking back at my life, I see flashes of trauma, events that shaped me, events that changed me, events that continue to haunt me 'til this very day. And while I would love to write them all down here for the world to see, I'm a bit more private and personal than that. But, I do think it's worthwhile to write down all of things that happened to me, that cause me stress and anxiety, write down all of my feelings about them, put it down on paper ... then throw it away to symbolize letting go of it all. And least, that's my thought right now. Sure, those memories will always be with me, and what's important is that I take everything positive from those and keep them close, and throw away everything negative, things that keep me up at night, things that cause me stress and anxiety, and put them away.

I pray for you, my friend, who may be reading this entry, to look back at your life carefully and to note what happened, what you may be holding onto with negative energy, and to find a way to find peace with all of it, so your life can be fuller and more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment