Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Time

I wrote this on my status today:
The greatest resource we have isn't money or power or technology, but time. Time that you spend with the people you love, your family and friends, and all of the people out there that you can touch with kindness and compassion.
It's what I said during my father's eulogy almost 16 years ago. It's deeply personal, and something that changed me forever when I said it back then, and something that reminds me of what's important today.

Sure, sometimes I forget, get caught up in the hectic nature and business of life, my own selfishness, and my priorities change temporarily. But, in the end, it really goes back to those simple words. Time. Time you spend with the people you love, doing the things you love, living life, and being happy. Time. Time you spend with others who can benefit from your touch, from your kindness, from your compassion.

Sure, there are other resources. Air, food, love, etc. But, man, do any of these really matter without time? It's so short, so precious, and so easy to take for granted. And you might be thinking, nah, money's more important, power is more important? Really? I respect that, I have an open mind. But, I tell you, it costs you nothing, it takes zero power to call your mom, your dad, your best friend ... and say hello, or spend a moment with them. It costs you nothing to smile at someone, to say hello, to have compassion for others, and that moment, that time you spend is with you always.

Of course, there's God, there's your faith. The time you spend with God, with your faith ... that's just as important. For me, it's something I never have enough time for, to be with God, have him walk with me, forgive me, lead me and for me to be his humble child, learning always from his grace. I thank God for everything I have, for my life, for the beauty he has surrounded me with, and for the blessed time he has given me.

I pray for you, my friend, who may be reading this. That you may find time to realize the importance of this gift we all have, the time we all can choose to spend, however we want, but considering using it to better ourselves, our loved ones, and those in the world who need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment