Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Learning

It's been about 2 months (hard to believe) into my 6 month personal training journey, and man, it's been one of the most enlightening experiences of my life.  Talk about on-the-job, on-the-spot, on-the-fly learning.  I'm applying things I learn instantaneously to prospective clients, and folks I'm currently working with, and of course, to my own body and mind.

I've been working out for the past 30+ years, and I'm telling you, for the most part, I was doing everything wrong, backwards, inefficiently, without any scientific backing, without any fundamental knowledge.  Certainly, like any other field, things progress quickly, theories change and such.  And the state-of-the-art certainly is dynamic, especially with all of the advances in science and technology, research and development.

My teacher, who I tend to bother a lot just because of my undying thirst for knowledge, mentioned the following to me:
"Listen to my words of wisdom, and you'll never plateau..."
That stuck to me, because as I mentioned, in 30+ years of working out, I think I hit every plateau (both good and bad mind you) that an athlete (or wanna-be athlete) could hit.

I'm so grateful for this opportunity, so thankful this turn in my life happened, that I could learn and associate with the good people at my new school.  We see each other often, we're quite a tight group, and I know we'll spend lots of time post-graduation together, making a difference in other people's lives.

As I look back at my blog over the past 3 years, I've seen myself grow as a person, try different things, have strong opinions about others.  I see a kid just 3 years ago, with a newly found passion for certain things, some of them quite noble (like Veganism, etc.).  And I see a lot of learning that has happened in the time since.  I am grateful, even for that time, because it has shaped me, it has made me a better student and trainer having experienced and gone through all of that.  It's my life's full experience that I bring with me, into my new possible career path, and that's what makes the difference between having passion, and simply existing.

I pray for you, my friend, that you may find something in learning that will light a fire in your heart and soul, to carry you past all of your indecision and hardship, to push you forward to places you didn't think you could make it to, to never plateau.



No comments:

Post a Comment