Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Keeping Your Promise

My youngest daughter and I spent the better part of the afternoon together, just the two of us.  Of course, I promised her the day before it would just be me and her, and she was looking forward to it.  Her sisters both had parties to attend, so it was just the two of us, and a long weekend day, sunny and beautiful to spend it together.  I had been out late the night before, celebrating with friends, so I was a bit tired.  I had gotten up early on just a few hours of sleep, to run an exercise bootcamp I'm quite proud of.  So, suffice to say, come mid-afternoon, my energy levels were depleted and my promise of spending time with daughter now in the balance, I gave a hint of hesitation.

Needless to say, I saw my daughter's body language, slumped shoulders, sad face, energy sapped from her, tears starting to flow, and I asked her if she was okay.  And of course, she wasn't.  She wasn't bummed that we were may not go to the movies or get what she wanted, she was bummed because I promised her something, and I was hesitant.

I guess when you want something so bad, in this case, my daugther wanting to spend time with her daddy, when it's taken away, it hurts.  I understand that, and that's why I thought it over, gathered up my energy, and said, "You know what ... let's go!"  and it was the best decision I've made in a long while.

My friend who may be reading this ... for your own well being, try to keep your promises and hold true to your word.  We are all imperfect by nature, which is fine, but in realizing how our thoughts and actions can affect another person, we can strive to be more compassionate, and in turn, be better ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment