Saturday, June 30, 2012

Giving for the sake of Giving

I was recently asked by a friend of mine to translate a very famous Buddhist poem and describe it's meaning.  Being quite a formidable challenge, my friend said I could expect quite a reward if I was indeed able to accurately translate and demonstrate a complete understanding of the poem. Of course, in my humility, I mentioned to my friend that I wouldn't expect any reward at all, but my curiosity was peaked, mostly because I wanted to understand why that poem was chosen, why it was a favorite of my friend, and it's deep and famous meaning.

Suffice it to say, with a bit of effort, I was able to find the information necessary to understand how to piece the information together to form a coherent theory.  And with a bit more work, craft an explanation describing the history behind the poem, as well as my interpretation of it.  My friend was quite impressed with the work, and mentioned again about the reward promised.  I answered that I would not ask for anything at all, because it would defeat the purpose of the poem itself, which discussed "Giving for the sake of Giving".  For me, examining my heart and soul, it felt like the right thing to do, simply to solve the challenge.  Give, if you will, a very humble answer, and then follow the true meaning of the message the challenge was trying to convey by having no expectation or reward for accomplishing the goal.

Even this very blog entry goes against the poem itself, because really I shouldn't be touting anything I've done.  But, on the other hand, I want my children and one-day, my grandchildren, to understand this because it meant a lot to me.  I know you will ask what the poem was, that's something I will keep to myself.  But suffice to say, it's one of the most beautiful poems I've ever happened upon.

I pray for you, my friend, who may be reading this.  That you may be blessed to have the opportunity to give simply for the sake of giving, not expecting anything in return, but purely for the act of giving itself, because it is the right thing to do.  May God Bless You Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment