Friday, January 21, 2011

Coins

So, part of getting a new car and trading in my old one, was emptying out all of the contents, as I said goodbye. Yes, it's a car, but it was with me for 8 years. :)

Well, a big part of the contents of my old car was the spare change I had kept putting in a little compartment near the gear box. After 8 years, that's a lot of coins.

I put all of those coins in a bag, and also placed a bunch of other coins that were scattered about the house, and asked my kids to help me count them. Wondering what to do, I thought I'd simply donate the whole lot, and give it to the Church. Then, I started thinking about a story in my mind, I wanted to capture the thoughts here.

"There once was man who was greedy, and hoarded money whenever he could. He traveled around with a large backpack, and whenever he could, he was collect coins and put them in his backpack. He would pass along lots of folks begging for money and help, but he never gave. He simply kept walking, kept finding more spare change, and kept adding to his collection, on his back, in his backpack. One day, the backpack became so heavy, he hurt himself, and he was stranded. He couldn't walk any farther, couldn't carry his burden any longer. And it occurred to him, had he given that money away, he wouldn't have had this burden, and probably would have many people walking with and helping him live life along the way."

So, I'm going to take this "bag of coins", drop in into the local Coinstar and donate the proceeds to Church. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that would benefit from it, much more than I, and this burden will be lessened as well.

May peace and happiness be with you, and may generosity find it's way into your heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment