Friday, July 23, 2010

Aryuvedic Cleanse - Results and Thoughts

I'm done!  It's the morning after the cleanse, I woke up early, had a nice large helping of fresh water, and like the instructions said, purged very easily.  What a ride this was, I think it was a life-changing event, making me rethink being a Vegan.  I feel so purified, so clean inside, so lucid, and so calm and still.

My digestion has changed over the past 4 days I can tell. My body was healing itself, I could see by the 'colors' of the purge, very different than before, much cleaner, much easier.  I'm going to think long and hard about my Vegan stance, maybe even switch it completely, and do an Ayurvedic diet instead.  Well, for me, it's pretty much a Vegetarian diet, isn't it?  (although an Ayurvedic diet isn't necessarily Vegetarian) The ghee is a big part of it, but the selection of foods, as well as the spices, the additional focus on when to eat, exactly what to eat, how it's prepared, etc. just seem to be more specific and sophisticated than just being a Vegan, or even a Raw Vegan.  Don't get me wrong, being a Vegan is great, one of the best choices I ever made for myself, but I think it's great to explore alternatives and see how you respond to them.

I think I've lost some weight, probably 2-3 lbs.  I wasn't doing this for weight loss.  It would be interesting to see what my blood pressure is, I think it's still relatively high (the whole reason for doing this in the first place) but it feels lower.  I've done Yoga throughout, so my strength and flexibility and balance are all good.  And heck, I've worked throughout, so my work ethic hasn't been compromised at all.

I 'cheated' once (had young coconut juice and ginger tea) for lunch while my co-workers had their food, then I had my kitchari/mung soup/rice afterwards.  I probably worked on the computer and watched too much TV, alas some habits are hard to break.  Lastly, I exercised throughout, when I should have been taking it easy.  I just did a bunch of yoga classes, mostly taking it easy.  But, other than that, as I am apt to do, I followed the plan exactly as mentioned, and it has paid great dividends.  I would do it again it a heartbeat, and likely will do this regularly.

The other thing I will do is visit with an Ayurvedic doctor, and get a complete and more thorough diagnosis and dietary plan.  I'll likely try that for 6 weeks and see how that works out.  All in all, no regrets, very simple and easy, and done before you know it.  Thank you very much to my Yoga Teacher, who passed along this wisdom during a workshop a while back, I'm very grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment