Monday, February 1, 2010

Coffee

How ironic is it that I write this post while using the WiFi at a local Starbucks? I must admit, I think the smell of coffee is pretty cool, something very earthy and musty. I could do without it, but once in a while it's an interesting smell. I've never really liked or needed coffee, but I'm strange like that, I know. I hear all of the crazy orders as I'm typing this, "Grande, nonfat, vanilla ... latte". Geez, whatever.

Coffee's not really good for you, in mass quantity. A cup a day is fine, no problem. There's some great antioxidants in coffee. But some people can't live without liters of the stuff. That leads to serious addiction, digestive issues, dehydration, sleep issues, etc. Not to mention that coffee is freaking expensive and fattening, with all of the coffee-based sugar drinks they offer now. Okay, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. But, you know what I mean.

So, I'm getting ready for a meeting at work, when I take a look at Facebook (ugh!) and see a post written by a friend of mine.

[Friend's Name] ... begins today the daunting task of NO COFFEE for 4-months!

And guess happens?

Reply after reply of what? are you crazy? why? you're nuts! good luck!

Man, imagine if I said something as audacious as, "I'm not gonna do dairy for 3 months!" People would think I'm off my rocker.

The truth is that the vast, vast majority of people have ingrained unconscious habits and see absolutely no reason to question or change them. I get that. But, at the same time, those who even try to be a little different, to try something that, dare I say, may be good for them, are vilified and outcast. Oh well, I knew it was an uphill battle, and maybe this makes me feel a little better that an old friend is at least dabbling with the idea of being conscious about what he drinks. Good for him, I say. He's a healthy guy, runs marathons and does triathlons and can probably eat and drink whatever he likes and still be extremely healthy. But, he chose to try something different, and I commend him for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment