Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vegan Stigma

I think one of the most challenging things about being Vegan is the stigma associated with it, and all of the preconceived notions that people have. People think I'm nuts, in-a-phase, in-a-cult. They ask if I'm done with the experiment, and how long it will last. When I first tell people that I'm Vegan/Vegetarian, they look at me with utter shock. Really? No way, how can that be?

I don't look like a Vegan, I'll give you that. I'm not a waif, I'm not a hippie, don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. Heck, I don't really do much else to be Vegan, other than to choose certain food to eat, and talk to people about the reasons why, when they ask me. I don't preach, or at least don't mean to.

I'll give you this, a lot of Vegans that I've met are nuts, absolutely bananas. I swear I think if they had the choice to save a chicken's life or a baby's life, they'd choose the chicken. Okay, that's going a bit far. But, you know what I mean. A lot of these people have swung so far the other way, they can't even be around others who aren't like them. Man, I'm not like that. My co-worker said, "You're probably the most understanding and tolerant Vegan I've ever met." I guess so, I don't mean to be anything, really. I'm just eating a certain way, for my personal reasons, and not much else.

Sure, it would be great if more people took a look at themselves and tried to make choices that improved their life. If that meant being a Vegan or not, then great. If that meant going for a walk everyday or not, then great. That's all I'm doing here.

I guess the label "Vegan" already is a cause for conflict. Maybe I shouldn't call myself that, because of the connotations. Maybe I shouldn't label myself at all, and just do what I do. Or heck, maybe I should just forget about what people think altogether. I don't know, it's tough. Being a Vegan, when everyone else around you, and I mean everyone, is hard enough. Having them form a prejudice, even without talking with you in detail, is even worse. But, like so many folks who dare to cross lines or try something different, you have to persevere, if that's what you truly and passionately believe.

Ah well, you know what? I feel great. My digestion is better than ever. My skin is as supple and clear as it's ever been. My gums and my teeth are healthy and clear. My hair is soft and vibrant. My nails are strong. My muscles are still there. My flexibility and my cardio are fine. My energy levels are great, and I sleep like a baby (most nights). So, this is what being Vegan has brought to my life. And if there's a stigma justifiably associated with that, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment