Friday, May 14, 2010

Youth

I think Kevin Garnett said it best, ""Loyalty is something that hurts you at times, because you can't get youth back..."  He's talking about LeBron James, and his decision to either stay with the Cleveland Cavaliers or move onto greener pastures with the New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, or some other NBA team.  Garnett was loyal to a fault and stayed with perennial loser Minnesota before leaving for a Championship run with the Boston Celtics.


Now, I'm not here to discuss any of their big business decisions, their money, their championship rings, or any of that nonsensical garbage.  It's really about that last part of Garnett's quote.  "...because you can't get youth back."  And that's true, for many of us who were athletes at one time, and now are struggling be athletic again after many years.  Of course, there are the exceptions, folks who have either kept it up over the years, or those amazingly gifted people who actually get more fit and athletic as they age.  I'm with the rest of you, I struggle just to keep upright at my age, but I still give it a go, and try my best.


It was so different was I was young.  My body could move in any direction, quick and light, fast and accurate.  Stop on a dime, accelerate to full speed in an instant.  Move side to side, back and forth, with an effortless breath and movement.  Never got hurt, never got injured.  And if I twisted an ankle here or there, fell down, get knocked down, I'd just walk it off, get back up, and keep on going for hours and hours.  I think that's what Garnett meant.  When we're young and strong and invincible, that's when we should strive and compete and give ourselves the best chance at winning it all.  And I guess that's what athletes miss the most when they do age, the ability to do all of the things that we used to do.


So, I'm here now, probably 10-20 years past those wonderful athletic days, doing less, competing less, working hard, showing tiny results...and you know what...I'm totally okay with it.  It's different now, I don't compete, I enjoy.  I don't put myself down, I pat myself on the back.  I don't worry about PRs, time, distance, I just worry about finishing, and resting afterwards.  And it feels so much better that way.  I want to enjoy my athletic endeavors, my time away from work and stress, and see the world in that light.  There's so much to be thankful for, and I am thankful for my youth and all that it gave me.  And I'm thankful that I still have the opportunity to run, do yoga, do little things like that, to keep my body moving, and to keep in shape, to set goals and accomplish them.


In some ways, I envy professional athletes for their lifestyle, their natural ability, and their drive.  But, I do feel for them when it's taken away, when age gets the better of them, when they have nothing to fall back on.  You don't have to be a professional athlete to feel this way, we all may fall into this feeling of inadequacy or depression at sometime.  I say fight that feeling, be appreciative of what you can do, even it's just simply go for a walk, breathe fresh air, or wiggle your toes.  Be happy with what you have, and do something with it.


Okay, I'm off to yoga soon ... gotta make use of my body, and the time.  :)  Thanks Kevin Garnett!

No comments:

Post a Comment