Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Helping People

I was on the phone with my cousin, who I recently hooked up with a few weeks back. We're going to spend some quality time together soon to discuss health and wellness. My co-worker overheard the conversation and said, "You're going to visit your friend just to talk about health? You're a nice guy!" I then offered to share with him a lot of the same information that I shared with my cousin, and he gladly accepted.

It's not that I'm a nice guy, although those are very kind words. It's really about helping people. I've always tried to do that, throughout my life. It started with coaching kids in sports, doing things for charity, helping friends find jobs, and now helping people with health and wellness. There's something very rewarding about seeing another person succeed, improve, or just smile. It's a gratification that I've craved for all of my life. Giving something, as simple as a few words of support, and having it matter in the very least to someone, makes it all worth while.

I would hope that more people could find peace and happiness through helping others. My yoga teacher once said that "service" is a major element in life's purpose. I can see how wise that truly is, because it enriches you, and gives meaning to your actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment