Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ah, Technology...

With all of the cell phones, computers, social networking sites, emails, videos, blogs, etc., I'm beginning to wonder about the value of technology and it's effect on people these days.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am a technologist, an engineer, and I helped create in my own small way, the infrastructure that has enabled a lot of this technology.  But, I still have to, once in a while, question where we're going and what this is doing to all of us.

Much like fast food, we went from having more wholesome nutrition, to more packaged and processed foods.  Likewise, with technology, we have substituted a digital life, a processed life if you will, vs. person-to-person, real conversation, and personal interaction.  We can sit in front of a computer, like I'm doing this very moment, and have that be our social interaction.  Heck, the way we are today, it's downright awkward to sit down and spend a good amount of time with someone, it feels strange.  It's much easier to post "Happy Birthday, Have a Great Day" or "Hey, What's Up?" on someone's wall than to, heaven forbid, call or much worse, drive over and knock on someone's door and say the same.

Cell phones, I think, are a big part of this.  You can lump portable electronics, music players, gamers, etc. as well in there.  People are zombies, glued to these portable devices, while walking, while driving in their cars, while eating a meal by themselves, and while sitting down.  They have really kept us "connected" to our digital lives, and "disconnected" from our real lives.  It's really hard to say hello to someone when they're glued to their device, and paying attention not to you, but to their information.

Again, I'm not innocent in all of this, I have my cell phone, portable devices, laptops, computers, etc., and I am just as guilty of being connected to my digital life as the next person.  But, I wonder if I would be better off by simply going "old-school" and actually sending my friend a Birthday Card on their birthday, or knock on their door and spend an afternoon with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment