Friday, October 1, 2010

Hello Goodbye

I was thinking of the Phil Collins' classic "We Said Hello Goodbye", and this particular snippet gets me:
Turn your head, don't look back
You know it's really not surprising
It gets better, when you get there
Change is the only constant in life.  I've heard and read this many times, and am a firm believer that change, and our ability to handle and deal with it, is one of the most important aspects of a peaceful and happy life.  I am in the midst of change professionally, changing jobs again.  My previous company was an amazing place, with a great culture and tremendous people.  I had a great time there, and I will look back at it fondly.  But, as is happens in life often, chance came about, the stars aligned, and an opportunity to work with what amounts to my mentor presented itself to me yet again.  This is the 3rd time in my life that I've had this chance, and in each time, I've taken that big leap, risked a lot, and came out the other side better for it.

Those big life decisions are tough, I'm telling you.  Emotionally, logically, spiritually, they challenge every aspect of your being to find answers, and find them quickly.  You lay down looking up for inspiration from powers higher than you, you look inward to see if there's answers lurking about, you talk with others endlessly, and in the end, you go one way or the other.  The decision to consider change is change itself, isn't it?  So, the process begins very early, the moment you have an opportunity to consider it.  For me, I've always been open to opportunity, I will listen with an intent and open-mind to whatever rolls my way.  Often, they are quickly dismissed, no worries, no issues, no problems.  Not even a second thought, I have considered, rejected, and moved on.  But, then there's the one opportunity that you've been waiting for, where if things were tweaked here or there, then there'd be some serious consideration.  And of course, there needs to be some preliminary discussion to see if there's a mutual fit.  Once that's done, then the process really starts to roll.

Interviewing, for me, is fun.  I really enjoy it, especially connecting with people and seeing what the folks interviewing me would be like to work with on a close-knit team.  For me, it's a two-sided interview.  I'm probably interviewing them, more than they are interviewing me.  Of course, there are times when interviews go bad, you don't perform well, you didn't have the right preparation or connection early on to make it a successful process before you started.  But, if I am prepared and connected properly, it's usually good.  I come across very positively, full of energy and passion, and fairly competent (I hope!).  So, getting through interviews, especially when my competition are folks that have a difficult time articulating their value, is one of the easier things for me to do.  I guess I'm lucky that way.

Once the interviews are done, the offers come along, the discussions get more serious, the numbers get worked out, the details get hashed out.  Then, it's time to really think, is this move the right thing to do?  Like I said, I'm always open to opportunity, and I'll always see if there's something more out there for me.  But, when it gets down to it, when the offer is on the table, then you really have to decide if leaving is better than staying.  That's the hard part, the part that "change" itself challenges us and pushes us to come to conclusion.

I don't really remember exactly what I did this time.  Usually, it's long walks in a big city, with lots of noise and energy, trying to find calm and stillness in the urban jungle, trying to find answers among the crowded thoughts in my mind.  Or it could be just sitting quietly for hours, thinking about nothing in particular, just sitting there, and waiting for an answer to come.  Or maybe, a nice conversation with myself to go over the pros and cons of each choice.  Or a chat with a trusted friend, to bounce ideas back and forth.  I don't know why the decision is so "big," but the way I think about it, your job takes a good amount of time, and although we are not defined by our jobs alone, we should take care to make wise choices because of the investment of time, which is always in short supply.

In the end, I decided to move, and tell everyone.  I did it right.  I gave them plenty of notice, I finished off all of my work, I documented and transitioned everything, I kept my professional and personal relationship intact, and I sat with each of my customers and told them in person of my decision, and how they would be supported by a colleague going forward.  There were tears, hugs, and kisses from those who grew on me, and who I grew upon.  It was a small and tight place, so we are bound to be like a micro-family, and when a brother leaves forever, it's not easy.  But, I look back fondly, and blessed to have spent time there.  And I look forward with hope and appreciation, that I am still thought of well professionally, that I have a new place to call home for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment