Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meditation and Prayer

What's the difference meditation and prayer?  I've often thought of this, being a Catholic and a Yoga student.  I pray when I'm at church, when I visit my Dad's grave, when I think of my friends and family and their well being, and when I think of all of the people out there who need help.  I meditate when I'm stressed, when I want to find calm and stillness of mind, when I want to rest.

In both cases, I talk with God, I walk with him in my mind, hand in hand, and listen intently to what he has to say.  His guidance has always been there, and whether I follow it or not, well ... that's another question.  I'm not perfect, nor claim to be, I'm human, a sinner like everyone else.  But, sooner or later, I find myself in prayer or meditation or both, trying to find peace and meaning.

On Sunday at mass, Father Thomas, one of the Carmelite priests who frequent our church, was talking about vocation, not occupation.  He showed us a video of what priests do, and how there's a big need for new priests to find their calling.  Father Thomas has an unusual style, in that he takes his time, and tends to meditate and pray deeply before speaking.  It's almost like he's waiting for God to fill him with the words to say.  He asked us to close our eyes and pray and meditate along with him, and it was one of the most powerful things I've ever experienced spiritually.  As a Catholic who has gone to church (off and on) for the better part of my entire life, I tend to go through the motions, worry about what I'm going to do next, what time the football game is, or what we're going to have for lunch or dinner.  Instead of focusing on the moment, what's happening right now, what's being said.  Father Thomas, very much like my Yoga teachers, brought me back to the importance of the words and thoughts being shared at mass.  And it touched me greatly.  He's a blessing, a good man, and someone who genuinely cares about what he does.  I'm honored and priveleged to hear him speak, and to watch him pray and meditate.

Amen and Namaste to you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment