Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Awakening, Spirituality, Nirvana, Enlightenment, God, etc.

Onto a heavier topic.  After the Wanderlust Yoga and Music Festival, I gave some very deep thought to the idea of God, a higher being, my soul, etc.

During the past several months, I've been searching for answers to my personal spirituality and religion.  I am a Roman Catholic, born and baptized as such, and very much strong in those beliefs.  I know some people say that they are spiritual, but not religious, and they think that's a good thing.  Organized religion has taken it's share of criticisms over the many years, some deservedly so, but I also feel that the majority of people in organized religions have good intentions and are good people, likely because of their belief and faith, and their 'organized' religion.  Look, I have nothing against anyone religious or not.  Religion is one of those topics that is so personal, that I can't say what is right or wrong for any given person.  Whatever you believe is right for you, so long as you live a good life and are a good person because of it.  Isn't that what really matters?

Yoga is interesting because it is independent of religion.  Sure, it has it's roots in India, where Hinduism and Buddhism have a strong influence.  The lessons learned in Yoga, the 'rules' or 'steps' one needs to follow, much like the commandments, the Apostle's Creed, and many other verses and texts which give Catholics similar 'rules' or 'steps', outline a lifestyle that is geared towards being a better person.  Certainly, there are exceptions, where people take religion and these 'rules' and 'steps' to divide, to break other rules, and to cause damage and harm.  But, if they are followed as intended, with the goal in mind to become better, to be more kind to humanity and the world, then these are good things, aren't they?

Unlike other teachings, Yoga describes, in detail, disciplines to keep one physically fit and healthy.  Of course, this is but a small aspect of Yoga, as the physical well being becomes an enabler for the much deeper meaning of Yoga, to find a union of the body, mind, and spirit through self exploration and discipline.  And throughout this process, discovering peace, calm, and stillness, and a deep understanding of one's strengths and weaknesses.  Of course, I'm nowhere near there, it'll take my lifetime just to approach the first few steps, but the journey is the reward.

So back to Wanderlust.  As I stretched and moved through asanas, I really did feel a spiritual connection somewhere, and it went back to my family, my father who passed away many years ago, my mother who I love dearly, my brother, my older and younger sisters, my wife, my kids, and the rest of my extended family.  All of this religion, spirituality, etc. eventually circles back to the people I love.  Although it may seem like it's my individual journey, going through my emotions, feelings, issues, etc., it is really about becoming a better person for myself, and eventually for those I love, my family and my close friends.  And my simple discovery is this.  "Kindness, especially to those who have hurt or harmed you, is the pathway to peace, calm, and stillness."  If I can be kind, if Yoga and my religious beliefs can help me be kind, even to those who have given me pause, then surely I can be kind to those I love.  And that kindness, that which I give away freely, is my path to my spirituality.

Deep, eh?  Okay, so now I'm supposed to forget that I even came up with any of that, and live my life as kind as I can, with no other reason than to continue my search for happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment