Sunday, August 29, 2010

The 8 Limbs of Yoga

"Ashtanga" or 8 Limbs of Yoga define the core characteristics of Raja Yoga (Royal Yoga), which in turn form the foundation for many Yoga systems today.

The 8 Limbs of Yoga are:
  • Yama (Abstentions)
  • Niyama (Observations)
  • Asana (Seat or Postures)
  • Pranayama (Breath or Life Force)
  • Pratyahara (Control of Senses)
  • Dharana (Concentration)
  • Dhyana (Meditation)
  • Samadhi (Liberation)
In between doing P90X, Yoga, and of course working full-time and being a father and husband, and a devout Catholic, I'm trying to study these concepts, how they effect my practice, and what they mean to me.  It will likely take a long while to go through each one, mostly because I'm still stuck on the first two limbs, while dabbling with the third and fourth, and sometimes the fifth, sixth, and seventh.  It is said that Yoga without the first two limbs is an "impossibility," and in many ways, I agree.  The foundations set by the first two are so important, to live a good life, that anything else gained without that foundation is due to fail.  For me, the first two are very tough and very deep, and touch many aspects of my life.  However, it does give me a clear and concise blueprint for how to live life in a kind and caring manner, one better for me, the people and world around me.

One important note here is that I am a devout Catholic, born and raised, just as my children and family.  This is my real foundation, something I have found beauty and peace in.  I know lots of people don't approve of the Catholic Faith for a variety of reasons, but like many things, the way we perceive things is but a manifestation of the thoughts in our minds.  I take my religion as a very positive part of my life, something that has given me so much for so many years.  And just because I study other systems, doesn't mean I'm any less devout.

Okay, with that out of the way, the first limb (Yama) discusses the things you shouldn't do, or avoid, or at least try your best.  They are:
  • Yamas
    • Ahimsa (Non-Harming)
    • Satya (Non-Lying)
    • Asteya (Non-Stealing)
    • Brahmacharya (Non-Sexual Misconduct)
    • Aparigraha (Non-Greed)
Over the next several weeks or months, I'm going to meditate and write about each one of these.  Ahimsa (Non-Harming) seems to the foundation for everything else, and goes with my previous revelations about "kindness" to all being so key to finding peace.  It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment