Saturday, August 29, 2009

The ADA's Position on Vegetarians/Vegans

My friend of many years recently found out about my drastic change in diet (well, really not that drastic, since I've been a quasi-vegetarian for nearly three years, and a vegan now for a short time) and asked a few questions:

1.) Where do you get your protein?
2.) Where do you get your calcium?
3.) Where do you get your Vitamin D?

In my research, I discovered that all of these were readily available in a Vegan diet, just as long as you maintained a plant-based whole foods diet. Eating whole vegetables and fruits, and having that be the basis of the majority of your calories would satisfy all of that. He shook his head in disbelief, and wrote off what I was doing as a phase. I can see where he's coming from, he's not in the minority, and he's not the only one to question me.

Well, I came across a very interesting paper I'd like to share with you. Don't listen to me, listen to the American Dietetic Association, and their position on Vegetarians/Vegans. Read the evidence. It's not like this is some random thing here, people who have changed their diets are healthier, leaner, less prone to illness and disease...all the stuff I've been saying for a while now.

Give it a read...let me know what you think.

http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/VegetarianPositionFINAL.pdf

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment