Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rest Days in Between Training

During your training for a half marathon (or any other race), it's important to have rest days in between, to give your body a chance to heal up. I used to go every day, and that lead to plateau, injury, and overtraining. Especially now that I have a sore achilles tendon, it's very important that I stretch very well before and after training runs, as well as my off days. I'll spend 15-60 minutes on my off days stretching.

My training schedule for this year's races enable me to concentrate on work and the family a bit more. Having M, W, F as rest days is really great and gives me the time I need to get a good night's sleep after work, and allows me to spend more time with the family, which is always good.

Lastly, I like the way the workouts are setup this time around. My hard workouts are on TU and TH. SA is easy (unless it's a race or race simulation), and SU is long and slow. So, I get lots of rest in between all of my hard workouts, before and after.

Don't forget to rest. Your body needs it. Avoid the temptation to train hard every day. If you're just starting, do 30 minutes walks every other day, and go from there. And on your off days...stretch and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment