Monday, August 17, 2009

Weddings...

We attending a Jewish wedding for the first time yesterday. We've attended our share of weddings in the past, mostly Catholic, with Buddhist and Muslim weddings thrown in for good measure (two of my best friends). One thing they have in common is how happy everyone is.

We really had a great time at this wedding, it was amazing. You have your share of personalities in the world, and the couple celebrating this union were about as quirky, funny, and interesting a couple as I've seen in a long time. Even the Rabbi was great, he was very funny, even though he kept a holiness and sacredness of the ceremony through the laughter. I really appreciated the couple's attention to detail in this wedding, knowing there were many people there who did not understand the intricacies of the Jewish faith, much less the details of a Jewish wedding. Everything was explained both in the pamphlets handed out, as well as spoken during the ceremony. It was a beautiful time.

For a while, I closed my eyes and the breeze blew over them. I could feel something there, I don't know what it was, but there was a peace and happiness I hadn't felt in a while. I'm so happy for them, so honored they thought enough of us to invite us and have us participate, and so blessed to see a different point of view, even though the end result ... a marriage ... is the same for many a religion.

Our diversity is our strength, isn't it? We're all different, we all have different points of view, different ways to celebrate and be happy. Isn't it amazing that we can share that with each other and learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment