Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Training Run!

Today was the start of a 10-week training program for an October Half Marathon. My goal is to run a 1:59, which would beat my personal best by 4 minutes. Fairly ambitious for someone with an aching achilles tendon, and also someone moving to a pretty much vegan diet. But, I'm gonna try my best.

I got up at 5:00am, got to the track at 5:30am, did an hour's worth of intervals (about 5.5 miles total), stretched before and after, iced my ankle, got the kids ready to go, and then started off to work (my new job). Man, it's gonna be a busy time, and this is with the kids NOT IN SCHOOL YET! :) But you know what, it's worth it. It's a privilege to get up early and just be able to run. It's a privilege to train and run a race. I don't look at it as work or sacrifice, I look at it as something very special.

Oh yeah...and my recovery drink? Green smoothie! Acai, Carrot Juice, Spinach, Banana, Blueberries, Ice ... Blendtec, voila! Recovery drink and breakfast all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment